About Me

My photo
Salem, VA, United States
I use this space for discovering and honing my passion for writing and sharing the best moments of my life. I'm a sister, a best friend, a roommate, a girlfriend, a writer. I'm a dreamer, a chocolate eater, a runner, a giver, a shopper. A reader and a hopeless romantic. I write when I can, I sleep when I can and love purple. Come share in my special moments and new adventures as life and love unfold for this twenty-something optimist.

Monday, October 17, 2011

"As autumn arrives, apples appear."

The best of apple pies and pop-tarts? Small, delicious and easy to make. Not quite as easy as just sticking it in the toaster but so much tastier and healthier. I don't have facts to back up the healhty but it's made from scratch so it must be.

I stole this amazing recipe from a fun blog I just discovered called A Beautiful Mess. (that link leads right to the recipe). It's 5 ingredients, 10 minutes to prep (especially if you have a great apple-chopper like Alex) and 15 minutes in the oven. Elsie also has recipes for pumpkin pie and pecan pie and you can bet I'll be trying those too!

Puff pastry
1 peeled and chopped apple
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon (and little to sprinkle on top)

I used pumpkin-shaped cookie cutters but cutting the puff pastry can be any shape that's large enough to put some apples in the middle. The one apple provided a little more than was needed for the seven tarts that the puff pastry provided but eating the leftover cinnamon-covered apples was enough to stave my hunger until the tarts were ready.

Oh my goodness was it worth it! Some of the apple-mix was oozing out and sizzling on the pan when I pulled them out. The whole apartment smells amazing. As I am writing this, there is only one left between the three of us, so that might say something.

1 comment:

  1. okay Maggie, the next time me you & Paige are together, we (or you) are absolutely making these!

    ReplyDelete