About Me

My photo
Salem, VA, United States
I use this space for discovering and honing my passion for writing and sharing the best moments of my life. I'm a sister, a best friend, a roommate, a girlfriend, a writer. I'm a dreamer, a chocolate eater, a runner, a giver, a shopper. A reader and a hopeless romantic. I write when I can, I sleep when I can and love purple. Come share in my special moments and new adventures as life and love unfold for this twenty-something optimist.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

223 outta 420 ain't bad

Last night I ran the Into the Darkness Night Trail Run at Explore Park, Roanoke. It's located just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. I've run there before, but not 4 miles and not at night.  It was, of course, Halloween themed with glow sticks, carved pumpkins and other flashing and noisy surprises marking the 4.04 mile course.  It was a rough race with the rocks and tree roots littering the narrow, tree-lined trail but I managed to cross the finish line with no scratches, slightly cold hands and a runny nose in 46 minutes and 40 seconds.  Alex was waiting for me at the finish and led the way to pumpkin bread and other complimentary snacks.  My ankles and calves hurt a bit from rolling off rocks and catching myself on roots but I never fell down! Now that I've crossed the 5k hump, my next goal is a 10k. There's a few coming up in the first few months of the year that I can start training for.  There's also a 5k run in December for arthritis if anyone is interested in running with me.

They did take pictures of the race, but those aren't posted it. Who takes a picture during mile 4? No one wants to see what they look like after 3.5 miles in the woods...
You can check out my ranking at Into the Darkness 2011. I'm 223rd overall and 14th in my 20-21 age group!

No comments:

Post a Comment