About Me

My photo
Salem, VA, United States
I use this space for discovering and honing my passion for writing and sharing the best moments of my life. I'm a sister, a best friend, a roommate, a girlfriend, a writer. I'm a dreamer, a chocolate eater, a runner, a giver, a shopper. A reader and a hopeless romantic. I write when I can, I sleep when I can and love purple. Come share in my special moments and new adventures as life and love unfold for this twenty-something optimist.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Domestic? Not so fast.

I finally buckled down today and made that darn apron I've been planning.  A simple pattern made from an old button-down.  I haven't done a lot of sewing in my time, at least not in the last 5-8 years, so I enlisted my mom for some guidance and her sewing machine.  I took a blue shirt I found (might be an old one of my brothers) and cut out the back side of it and then followed this video for instructions.  My Aunt Sue had sent me the idea because she knew my plans to dabble in some sewing.  I used the back of the shirt instead of the front, like the video shows.  And since the shirt I had was short-sleeved, I just used pieces from the front to make my waist straps.
 I won't lie and say it was an easy, fun-filled afternoon of learning to sew.  I got pretty angry after the first few tries and 'gave up'. I went back to reading The Red Tent and ignored the ironing board, sewing machine and thread all over the living room.  Finally, my mom asked if I was done for the day; I assured her I was done forever.  She was kind enough not to laugh at my five-year-old-like attitude but took a few minutes to show me some tricks.

As I kept grunting and slamming things around, she kept explaining "it doesn't have to be perfect!"  Well, that's quite true.  And it is far from perfect.  But I have an apron I made all on my own and I am a little closer to finding my love tolerance for sewing.  Here's my apron. Do you have any fun apron patters or ideas? I'm not sure I'll be starting a new sewing project anytime soon, but I think I'd give it a try when I find some patience.

1 comment:

  1. I have been the same way about sewing! I am going to try again today. By the way...I love The Red Tent!

    ReplyDelete