About Me

My photo
Salem, VA, United States
I use this space for discovering and honing my passion for writing and sharing the best moments of my life. I'm a sister, a best friend, a roommate, a girlfriend, a writer. I'm a dreamer, a chocolate eater, a runner, a giver, a shopper. A reader and a hopeless romantic. I write when I can, I sleep when I can and love purple. Come share in my special moments and new adventures as life and love unfold for this twenty-something optimist.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Creative in the Kitchen

A lot less 'red velvet' and much more chocolate,
but tastes just as amazing.
I had been looking forward to this weekend all week, planning to try some new recipes and enjoy some time in the kitchen.  Friday, I made m'n'm cookies with my friends (just used the normal chocolate chip cookie recipe and swapped out the chips for m'n'ms) before making this Red Velvet Cake Donut dough from my favorite blog.  The dough had to refrigerate overnight, so Sarah and I continued Saturday morning to make the donuts.  We had a slight mishap getting the dough fried because it is important to use vegetable shortening (crisco, etc) NOT vegetable oil...(who knew?). We ran out to get the right stuff and then fried up some delicious donuts.  The shortening starts to overheat and burn so we could only do a few donuts at a time before the donuts would cook too quickly on the outside before they're finished on the inside. Nevertheless, we finished with a plateful of yummy, chocolaty donuts for the weekend. :)

Later in the day, I made caramel and vanilla flavor coffee syrup, again from A Beautiful Mess.  I found two syrup dispensers from Wal-Mart and decorated each with its corresponding letter for fun.  They're not as strong as I had thought they'd be, so I'll have to experiment with how much to put into my coffee...oh darn!

For Sunday's dinner, I had bought some asparagus as it might just be my new favorite vegetable.  I found a recipe for garlic sesame asparagus here.  Oh my was it great! On the blog, Carrie (the chef and writer) said she paired it with a fried egg for a simple meal.  I don't like fried eggs but I do love scrambled eggs.  I had some summer sausage in the fridge (thanks Mom!) and a little onion never hurts so I mixed that all in with an egg and I must say, it was the perfect meal.  I have some asparagus left over for dinner tomorrow.  I think I'm going to try to play with a simple spaghetti and meat sauce dinner to vamp it up a bit.  If it goes well, you'll probably see it here.

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment