About Me

My photo
Salem, VA, United States
I use this space for discovering and honing my passion for writing and sharing the best moments of my life. I'm a sister, a best friend, a roommate, a girlfriend, a writer. I'm a dreamer, a chocolate eater, a runner, a giver, a shopper. A reader and a hopeless romantic. I write when I can, I sleep when I can and love purple. Come share in my special moments and new adventures as life and love unfold for this twenty-something optimist.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

5k Best

Friday, the day before we flew home from Florida, we discovered a 5k race on the island.  Of course, only my sister Rebecca and I would consider running a 5k while on vacation, just hours before we had to pack up and leave. But we did it! We were up before 7am on Saturday to register and run at 8.  

Here's me crossing the finish line.  Many of
the runners liked to give out high-fives.
It was already getting hot but it was a fairly flat race through a small neighborhood on the island. I had made myself a goal of going sub-30 minutes.  I've run a few 5ks over the past few years but most of them have been trail races, putting my time between 35 and 45 minutes.  I thought this was a challenging enough, but fairly reasonable goal.  Well, I was certainly shocked and extremely happy to see that I finished in 27:22 and came in 27th out of the 70 or so runners there.  Rebecca completed in her own personal record of 39 minutes and some change.  It was a great feeling to beat my goal by so much and it gave me the motivation again to try for longer races. I'm aiming to do a 10k this summer and then train for a half marathon in November here in Roanoke.  

The last day of vacation was great too.  We joined the kids at the pool for one last swim then we packed up and headed home.  Starting with a good, strong run makes the day so much more optimistic.  Plus I felt energized and got to eat anything I wanted for the rest of the day. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment