About Me

My photo
Salem, VA, United States
I use this space for discovering and honing my passion for writing and sharing the best moments of my life. I'm a sister, a best friend, a roommate, a girlfriend, a writer. I'm a dreamer, a chocolate eater, a runner, a giver, a shopper. A reader and a hopeless romantic. I write when I can, I sleep when I can and love purple. Come share in my special moments and new adventures as life and love unfold for this twenty-something optimist.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My Big, Gray (albeit silly) Passion

I really should have studied biology. Too bad I’m terrible at all sciences and can’t think of anything more boring to spend 4+ years pouring over.

The only reason I wish I had suffered through it is my complete and unexplainable passion for elephants. I want to be a zookeeper. Or an elephant vet. (Do they have those?) A circus trainer. I can’t think of anything more exciting than spending the rest of my life cleaning, petting, riding and just being with elephants.

Now this might be hard to understand since they do not live in North America (where I do) and I have never actually been closer than a couple hundred yards from an elephant at any time in my life, but I find everything about elephants fascinating.

I don’t remember when I started loving elephants. Maybe it was a book I read when I was younger or the first time I visited the National Zoo with my family. But it happened, probably suddenly and overwhelmingly.

I have several stuffed animal elephants, countless trinkets, statuettes of elephants in all sizes and colors. I even have an elephant candle-holder. Now, thanks to my boyfriend and his wonderful gift-giving talents, I have purple elephant earrings and the most beautiful silver elephant necklace that gets me more compliments than any other thing I have worn.

It’s starting to seem silly, how many elephants I own. My boyfriend teases me that if I traded in every elephant that I own, it would probably equal a real elephant. But I can never get enough of this unique animal.

They’re intelligent; that has been scientifically proven. They remember everything (as the saying goes) and they live very utopian lives. All the females live and travel together. They split the child-raising, hunting and protecting between them all. Their communities are built upon respect, responsibility and love. The men are nomadic and solitary, strong and independent.

They are not normally vicious creatures, but remember wrong-doings and can seek revenge if they feel a constant threat or pain. (Anyone read Water for Elephants?) They also become attached and protective of others even outside of their species. Not to mention, they're cute. Just a little hairy, a curious and sensitive trunk, big floppy ears. So much to love.

Every time I see someone riding an elephant (I’ll admit, I watch The Bachelor) or Animal Planet featuring elephants, I sigh, swoon and complain that I would give anything to be doing that. What is it about these animals that I am so attracted to? I couldn’t care less about kittens, monkeys or panda bears, but I would literally move to Africa if I could own my very own elephant.

Maybe someday I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment