About Me

My photo
Salem, VA, United States
I use this space for discovering and honing my passion for writing and sharing the best moments of my life. I'm a sister, a best friend, a roommate, a girlfriend, a writer. I'm a dreamer, a chocolate eater, a runner, a giver, a shopper. A reader and a hopeless romantic. I write when I can, I sleep when I can and love purple. Come share in my special moments and new adventures as life and love unfold for this twenty-something optimist.

Monday, August 8, 2011

St. Joe's Island Part 3 - More Bridges!

The trip through Michigan was uneventful (again).  It’s a dull, long trip down 75.  We started listening to The Hunger Games on CD and were hooked in very little time.  When we stopped for the night, with two disks left, Alex wanted to bring them inside and keep listening.  Instead, we cooked spaghetti and then he treated me to Graeter’s, a great ice cream shop that originated in the area.  Soon after that, we were asleep with plans to have an early start.

We didn’t start as early as we had liked, but our trip through West VA would be shorter than the day before.  We finally finished the great book and I took a nap.  This is when Alex started to enjoy the ride.  Apparently we were taking a very windy road that ran (theoretically) parallel to 64 and we traveled a much more exciting and mountainous road.  When I woke up, he went on about the great views, rivers and even a “Mystery Hole” he had seen.  Then we were just about to pass the New River Gorge Bridge in West VA and he just HAD to stop, despite the present downpour.

Somehow he forced me out of the car with only a long sleeve shirt of his for cover from the rain (take note, I was also in flip flops while he changed into his hiking shoes and a raincoat).  It did stop raining long enough for us to walk out to see the third largest steel arch bridge in the world.  And Alex was happy.

Now I took over the driving, which was not a good idea.  Alex kept pestering me to take all kinds of side roads on the mountain.  Then when I refused, he decided to exaggerate every turn by flailing around in his seat, smacking the window and the dashboard.  We started to see signs for Salem and it couldn’t come soon enough.

We ended our wonderful vacation with pizza and ice cream with some friends in Roanoke and a drink at Macado’s.  I finally got rid of him, I mean, had to take him home so he could prepare for camp and I could return home for work.  But what an amazing Canadian (and American) Adventure we had.  

Is it next summer yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment